MINISTRY MET WITH EXECUTIVE TEAM OF THE RITZ CARLTON RESORT
Honourable Vaden Delroy Williams, Minister with responsibility for Ministry of Immigration, Citizenship, Labour and Employment Services, accompanied by his Permanent Secretary Mr. Desmond Wilson, Deputy Secretary Mr. James Astwood and the Commissioner of Labour Mr. Edwin Taylor, accommodated a fruitful introductory meeting with Senior members of the soon to be opened Ritz Carlton Resort, Providenciales, on Tuesday 17th November, 2020.
The meeting which got on the way at 2:00 pm was held at the office of the Premier with the following persons: Mr. John Hazard, Mr. Corey Guest, Roberto Spita and Mr. Steven Redkoles. A number of topics were covered, some of which are as follows:
- Turks and Caicos Labour Laws (those that are most important)
- General pay (including required or non-required service charge and distribution) & benefits offered on island;
- Medical, dental and other required and standard insurance provided to employees;
- Pension/Retirement plan requirements that are offered in the industry to employees;
- Vacation, holiday and sick leave entitlements;
- Local vs. Expat differences and any potential requirements as it relates to Live-in/Live-out, pay and benefits;
- Offer Letter/Work Agreement templates and requirements;
- Retention rate
- Partnering with any schools, colleges, and Vocational Institutions that have Hospitality or Culinary or Engineering/Technical programs to discuss partnerships for internships and offering leadership and development courses;
Mr. Guest, the Multi-Property Director of Human Resources during the meeting said that when I exited the plane in Turks and Caicos last year, I felt an immediate connection with the island as it truly felt like home. We look very much forward to a successful opening and partnering with you and the community.
Hon Williams in his remarks stated that he is very elated about the Ritz Carlton Resort coming to the Turks & Caicos Islands next year, as this is a world renown hotel brand. Hon. Williams went on to say that he is confident that the opening of this resort will create major employment as well as entrepreneurial opportunities for the residents of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and is looking forward to the Ritz Carlton team working closely with my Ministry team during the various phases of the project, to ensure that the end result will prove beneficial to all.
The Ritz Carlton on Providenciales is scheduled to open mid-2021.