MINISTRY: Education, Youth, Culture, Social and Library Services
This is a senior professional position which has responsibility for assisting the Principal with the administration of the daily operations of the primary school. The job holder is required to help the Principal to manage school operations, supervise staff and students, ensure the appropriate instruction and discipline of the student body and manage the school’s finances and supply inventory.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, motivate and lead all staff to achieve the highest professional standards
- Build a collaborative learning culture within the school and actively engage with other secondary schools and primary schools and other agencies to build effective learning communities
- Manage change effectively
- Assist with the annual registration of students and assign students to classes based on age and cognitive ability
- Assist with the preparation of the school’s budget and help to maintain compliance
- Help the Principal to ensure job descriptions and performance management for all staff are based on clear roles and responsibilities, reviewed at least annually and consistent with current conditions of employment
- Ensure all policies are kept up to date, working closely with Principal, teaching staff and the Department of Education
- Supervise the work committee and club leaders
- Support the implementation of sound procedures for the security, supervision and maintenance of the school environment ensuring that all health and safety regulations are met
- Assist with the preparation and distribution of the annual instruction timetable for individual teachers
- Manage own personal professional development whilst ensuring the well-being of other members of staff
- Ensure that all responsibilities delegated by the Principal are carried out
- Ensure the school premises are fit for purpose for current and future needs including site development
Teaching, Learning, Curriculum and Standards
- Lead in the delivery of a national curriculum in a way which inspires and engages all students
- Ensure a consistent and continuous school-wide focus on student assessment and achievement, using appropriate data and benchmarks to set, monitor, track and evaluate individual student progress
- Prepare and deliver lessons to a range of classes including putting up displays in the classroom
- Mark work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of students' progress and development
- Research new topic areas, maintain up-to-date subject knowledge and then devise and write new curriculum materials
- Select and use a range of different learning resources and equipment, including LCD projectors, podcasts and interactive whiteboards where available
- Undertake pastoral duties, such as taking on the role of form teacher, and supporting students on an individual basis through academic or personal difficulties
- Challenge and remedy under-performance
- Provide nurturing and attentive pastoral care for all students
- Ensure exemplary standards of behaviour and attendance
- Monitor, evaluate and review classroom practice and promote improvement strategies; aim for outstanding standards of learning and teaching at all times
Communication and Consultation
- Build effective relationships with all stakeholders through excellent communication and interpersonal skills, taking and providing appropriate advice
- Consistently use and develop information systems to ensure exemplary communication links with all stakeholders
- Co-ordinate the school’s work with pre-school and secondary schools to ensure smooth transitions and continuity of learning.
- Regularly and effectively communicate the progress of every child’s learning to the relevant stakeholders
- Provide the Department of Education with information on all relevant aspects of the school, its progress and intended development
- Develop and encourage working partnerships with parents and guardians.
- Develop and encourage good relations between the school and the local community.
- Develop and encourage good relations between the school and other agencies including Social Services and Health professionals.
- Adhere to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- A bachelor’s degree in education administration or relevant management qualification in addition to a teacher’s certificate or diploma is essential.
- A master’s degree in education management or leadership is desirable.
- This position requires experience in the education field for more than five (5) years with at least three (3) years in an educational leadership role, to respond effectively to the challenges of the job.
SALARY: $43,111.50 per annum plus allowances
For persons recruited outside of the Turks & Caicos Islands a two-year extendable contract is offered. Other benefits in addition to basic salary include a Housing Allowance, End-of contract gratuity of 10%, return passages for a family of up to two children under the age of 18 years, freight cost and duty exemption on personal effects imported within six months of the appointment.
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page, National Turks & Caicos Islander Status Card (where applicable). Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate. Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: email@example.com. Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (LWB1-20-11) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without all supporting documents will not be processed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31st May 2020