DEPARTMENT: National Public Health Laboratory
Medical technologists, also known as clinical laboratory technologists, perform and analyse the results of complex scientific tests on blood and bodily fluids. When test results are analysed and completed, medical technologists collaborate with physicians or Chief Medical Technologist on patient data. Provides information for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease by conducting medical laboratory tests, procedures, experiments and analyses.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The day-to-day duties of a medical technologist include complex analysis of microscopic, immunologic, biologic, bacteriologic, hematologic and chemical tests and their results. Tasks include:
- Preparing cultures of tissue samples
- Establishing and monitoring programs that ensure data accuracy
- Microscopically examining slides of bodily fluids
- Cross-matching blood for transfusions
- Chemically analysing blood or urine for toxic components
- Analysing lab reports for accuracy
- Operating and calibrating equipment
- Delivering test results to physicians, researchers or patients
- Collecting and studying blood samples to determine morphology
- Determines normal and abnormal components of body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, spinal fluids, and gastric juices.
- Analyses blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using microscopic techniques and procedures.
- Prepares blood, plasma, and platelets for transfusions by conducting blood group, type, and compatibility tests.
- Ensures operation of analysers and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs;
- maintaining equipment inventories
- Evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Provides medical technology information by answering questions and requests.
- Prepares reports of technological findings by collecting, analysing, and summarizing information.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control and hazardous waste policies and protocols; following identification procedures.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects the Department by keeping information confidential.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Operate sophisticated laboratory equipment such as microscopes and cell counters
- Use automated equipment and computerized instruments capable of performing a number of tests at the same time
- Log data from medical tests and enter results into a patient’s medical record
- Supervise or train medical / laboratory technicians
- Infection control and sterilization protocols must be followed to minimize the hazards of working with infectious agents
- Adhere to all public service codes, rules and regulations
- And any other related tasks which may be assigned by the job holder's Head of Department.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Medical Laboratory Technology from a recognized institution.
- At least 5 years work experience in a medical laboratory and additional training in microbiology.
SALARY: GRADE 6 - $33,415.00 per annum
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page, National Turks & Caicos Islander Status Card (where applicable). Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate. Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (KHB1-20-27) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without supporting documents will not be processed
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 31st May 2020