This position has departmental and governmental accountability for: -
· Draft primary and subsidiary legislation.
· Assist with the preparation of instructions for the drafting of primary and secondary legislation.
· Advise on Bills throughout the legislative process.
· Maintain legislative files.
· Maintain database of laws of the Turks and Caicos Islands and prepare revised laws as necessary.
· Prepare for publication an annual volume of primary and subsidiary legislation enacted during the previous year.
· Draft opinions on statutory interpretation and constitutional and administrative law issues.
· Provide legal advice to all government departments
· Maintain Chambers’ law library.
· Supervise junior staff.
· Adhere to all Public Service codes, rules and regulations.
· Other duties as may be directed by the Deputy Attorney General or Attorney General from time to time.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- This position requires a Bachelor of Laws or its equivalent. Post graduate qualifications in legislative drafting is desirable.
- In addition to a Bachelor of Laws the position requires that the job holder possess a Legal Profession Certificate or its equivalent as well as specialized training legislative drafting. The job holder must be qualified and eligible to practise in a Commonwealth Law Jurisdiction or the Republic of Ireland.
This position requires –
· at least seven (7) years on the job experience, to acquire the necessary competencies to effectively respond to the challenges of the functions.
· at least five (5) years’ working experience in legislative drafting preferably in Commonwealth countries using the Westminister model parliamentary democracy would be an advantage.
The areas of experience should include but not limited to:
· Drafting legal instruments
· Drafting bills and secondary legislation
· Parliamentary procedure
· Civil practice and procedure
The industry experience most appropriate for the job holder includes:-
· Law practices
· The court system
· Public Law and Public Service
SALARY: Grade 9.5: $68,982.50 per annum plus allowances
For persons recruited outside of the Turks & Caicos Islands a two-year extendable contract is offered. Other benefits in addition to basic salary include a Housing Allowance, End-of contract gratuity of 10%, return passages for a family of up to two children under the age of 18 years, freight cost and duty exemption on personal effects imported within six months of the appointment.