The Registrar of the Supreme Court is responsible for:
- the administration of the Registry of the Supreme Court, and ensures the smooth running of the courts.
- assists the Chief Justice ion carrying out ministerial functions as necessary.
This position seeks to create and maintain an organisation:
- Whose activities are organised, directed, coordinated and executed in accordance with the laws of the Turks and Caicos Islands
- Where proper guidance underpinned by the law is provided to members of the public, and access to justice is improved.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
The Registrar shall perform the following duties:
- issue process;
- in civil proceedings, shall register all writs and judgments and other proceedings in the Supreme Court;
- be responsible for the listing of cases;
- attend the sittings of the Court and ensure there is a record of the proceedings;
- be responsible for the selection of juries in accordance with the Jury Ordinance
be in charge of the Court Escrow Account as supervised by the Accountant General;
- make such investigations and take such accounts in relation to proceedings in the Supreme Court as the Chief Justice or a judge may direct;
- be in charge of the issuance of legal aid certificates, assignment of counsel, and related disciplinary matters;
- have power to administer oaths and take affidavits and declarations in all proceedings in the Supreme Court;
- prepare from time to time, information packages relating to registry practice and procedures, jury service, access to the court’s services, and enforcement procedures, for the guidance of court users;
- have power to adjourn the Court, from time to time, for any time, not exceeding seven days, as circumstances may require;
- conduct registrar hearings in accordance with the Rules of Court;
- be responsible for the taxation of costs;
- supervise staff of the registry and the courts;
- be responsible for compiling the record of appeal;
- be responsible for the registry of the Court of Appeal;
- in uncontested cases only, shall have power to carry out all such duties as are necessary for the grant and sealing by the Court of Probates or Letters of Administration in respect to the estates of deceased persons;
- Produce court statistics;
- Be responsible for the implementation of the court’s digitization programme.
- transact all ministerial business of the Supreme Court and perform such other duties as are assigned to him by any Rules of Court or by direction of the Chief Justice;
- carry out any duties assigned by the Chief Justice.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The post holder must be:
(a) a Barrister or Solicitor of the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland or of some other part of the Commonwealth;
(b) a member of the Faculty of Advocates or a Writer to the Signet of Scotland; or
(c) an Attorney of the Supreme Court of the Turks and Caicos Islands admitted under the Legal Profession Ordinance.
The position requires a minimum of seven (7) years standing as such, with at least 3 years’ directly related experience.
SALARY: Grade 10 - $76,112.40 per annum plus allowances
Resumes with current contact information must be accompanied by a Cover Letter and two letters of reference (one preferably from a former employer) as well as copies of educational certificates and a copy of the Passport photo page, National Turks & Caicos Islander Status Card (where applicable). Shortlisted candidates must submit a Police Certificate.
Applications should be addressed to The Director, Office of the Human Resource Management Directorate, Church Folly, Grand Turk. Applications can be hand delivered, Faxed to 946-1582 or sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand delivered and fax applications must have clearly marked on the envelope/fax cover sheet the Job Title of position being applied for. On emailed applications the subject line must reference the Job Reference Number (SRB4-22-29) and the Job Title.
Current serving officers must apply through their Head of Department.
Applications without all supporting documents will not be processed.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only persons selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2nd December, 2022