Hon. Akierra Mary Deanne Missick
Hon. Akierra M. D. Missick, is the Elected Member for Leeward and Long Bay, Providenciales once again in the 2021 General Elections and serves as the Minister of Infrastructure, Housing, Planning & Development.
Honourable Missick served as the Deputy Premier of the Turks and Caicos Islands and Minister of Education, Youth Affairs, Sport and Library Services in the Government of the Turks & Caicos Islands from 2012-2016 and was elected Member for Leeward and Long Bay, Providenciales after successfully contesting that district in the 2016 General Elections.
Honourable Missick is a Barrister in England and Wales, having obtained a LL.B (Honours) from the University of Nottingham and is a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn. She is called to the Turks and Caicos Islands Bar and practices as an Attorney with Misick & Stanbrook with a focus on Civil Law, Family Law, Employment, Labour and Dispute Resolution. Honourable Missick has had the privilege of appearing on two occasions, before Her Majesty’s Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, England and Wales, which is the highest judicial body for the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Commonwealth.
Honourable Missick transitioned into Politics in 2012, after she successfully contested for the Electoral District of Leeward/Long Bay Hills. On taking up her portfolio of Education, Youth Affairs, Sport & Library Services for the period of 2012 - 2016, she brought the same energy and enthusiasm to the work and has delivered on numerous important national issues in Education and Youth. Honourable Missick believes in the mantra ‘leave no child behind’ and in so doing believes that children must be given the opportunity to succeed. In her zest to modernize the various departments under her then Ministerial Portfolio, although not exhaustive, she had put numerous plans into action, inclusive of the following:
- The Building of the first high school to be built in over 20 years on the Island of Providenciales. The Long Bay High School when completed will house 600 students, address the issue of access to school places and will employ modern technology to aid teaching and learning.
- The building of a new two storied class room block for the Ona Glinton Primary School, and stand alone Early Childhood Centre of Excellence. The new block and Centre holds new computer labs, white and interactive boards, music rooms and new libraries brining primary school teaching and learning to higher standards within the TCI.
- Creation of an Inter-ministerial Juvenile Education Program which would provide support to the youth who have fallen afoul of the law and have been convicted of a criminal offence resulting in their expulsion from mainstream schooling;
- Introduced the Caribbean Vocational Qualification to the National Education Curriculum;
- The development of the “Zero Tolerance Policy’ for all high schools throughout the islands, a policy that seeks to protect and ensure a safe and nurturing learning environment. Introduced new policies addressing teaching and learning standards on which schools must be assessed; and
- Commissioned the first Green Fitness Park in Leeward Long Bay to be replicated throughout the islands. The parks are environmentally friendly and provide indoor gym facilities in the outdoors making health and fitness equal and accessible for all.
The measures above are a few examples of the ways in which Honorable Missick has ensured that every child be given the opportunity to thrive within a modernized Turks and Caicos Islands education system.