In 2009, the Ministry of Health combined the National Drug Unit, Counseling & Psychological Services and Psychiatric Services; to create an integrated treatment approach to psychological and psychiatric needs of the Turks and Caicos Islands. As a reflection of this merge, the Department was given the name Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence.
The Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence (DMHSD) functions as the Turks and Caicos Islands central authority for mental health and substance use disorders. In collaboration with other government departments and community agencies, DMHSD provides services and support to persons of all ages, who live with mental illness, emotional disturbance, or substance use disorders.
DMHSD envisions Mental Health and Substance Dependence as one of the main cornerstones of health in the Turks and Caicos Islands. All residents will live in caring communities, where there is compassion for and a determination to respond effectively and respectfully to, their mental health needs. Everyone will have access to effective prevention, early intervention, and mental health and substance use disorder treatment and support as needed to achieve his / her full potential through meaningful social inclusion that is free from discrimination.
As the central authority on Mental Health and Substance Dependence in the Turks and Caicos Islands, it is DMHSD’s mission to provide access to comprehensive and quality services, and advocate for the mental health and substance use needs of individuals of all ages, enabling them to live, work and participate in their communities. DMHSD establishes standards to ensure effective care to promote recovery. It formulates policies, promotes self-growth / determination, protects human rights, and supports mental health and substance use disorder-related training and research. This critical mission is accomplished by working in partnership with other government agencies, civic groups, our clients/patients and their families, private service providers, and the wider community as a whole.
- Dr. Alicia Malcolm, Director
- Dr. Diana Dizon, Psychiatrist
- Dr. Patrick Prince, Clinical Psychologist
- Ms. Aprit Thomas, Psychologist
- Rev. John Malcolm, Senior Mental Health & Substance Abuse Counselor
- Tiara McTaire, Mental Health & Substance Abuse Counselor
- Cleola Been, Community Mental Health Nurse
- Barbra Lewis, Community Mental Health Nurse
- Kurt Chassang, Community Mental Health Nurse
- Stanley Been, Community Outreach Officer
- Malcolm, Community Outreach Officer
Treatment and Rehabilitation Services
- Outpatient Services
The DMHSD has four (4) main clinics / offices that offer outpatient services during normal business hours, and 24-hour coverage from an on-call Psychiatrist and Clinical Psychologist to deal with any crisis interventions required. These services are offered weekly on Grand Turk and Providenciales, and monthly clinics are conducted for North Caicos and South Caicos.
1. Psychotherapy- DMHSD provides various forms of psychotherapy; e.g., Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Interpersonal Therapy, and Behavior Therapy. Therapy is conducted in an individual, couples, or group setting and Marriage and Family Counselling is also provided.
2. Substance Abuse Counselling- DMHSD conducts evaluations of alcohol and drug abuse and offers onsite counseling. Referral to overseas drug treatment programs are also done based on client need.
3. Professional Coaching and Consultations- DMHSD provides individuals with professional support in building a happier, more successful or satisfying life.
4. Psychiatric Services / Medical Consultation and Referrals- DMHSD has an on-staff Psychiatrist who conducts psychiatric clinics in the Primary Health Care section of the Cheshire Hall Medical Centre. Bi-monthly visits are made to Cockburn Town Medical Centre, and monthly clinics are conducted for North Caicos, Middle Caicos, and South Caicos.
5. Forensic Psychological Services / Consultation- DMHSD provides a range of forensic services including assessments to determine competence to stand trial, violence and risk assessment, domestic violence, custody cases, and mental vulnerability and impairment.
6. Drug Testing- DMHSD conducts random drug testing for persons, who have been mandated by the court to undergo drug screening.
7. Psychological & Psychiatric Assessments / Evaluations-DMHSD has staff that is trained in conducting psychological / psychiatric tests and evaluations (e.g. Mood Disorders, ADHD and Personality & Diagnostic Assessments, etc.).
- Community Care
DMHSD provides in-home treatment, management, and care for shut-ins. A team consisting of the Psychiatrist, Mental Health Nurse (and / or Mental Health Aide), and Social Worker assist such clients by administering medication, monitoring for changes in behavior and encouraging persons to participate in and continue treatment.
- Prison Based Services
DMHSD provides counselling and psychological services and alcohol and other drug treatment to inmates in HMP. These services are delivered by a team including the Psychiatrist, Mental Health Nurse, and Substance Abuse Counselor. Also, an anger management course is offered twice per year by DMHSD staff.
Publication and Reports
- Annual Reports