Dental Health Department
To provide and ensure high quality oral health services to all sectors of the population in the Turks and Caicos Islands, by promoting oral health awareness, through cost effective, efficient preventative and curative dental procedures and rehabilitation in collaboration with other health care providers.
Dr. Donald Oliver Astwood founded the dental department in 1926, becoming the first Chief Dental Officer and the first local professional Dentist in the Turks & Caicos Islands. Dr. Donald Astwood served until 1971 before handing the department over to his son Dr. Leopold Astwood.
Dr. Leopold Astwood. who became the second local to take up the post of Chief Dental Officer. Dr. Leopold Astwood served from 1971 until 1998 before retiring; he now resides in Grand Turk.
- The Division of Dental Health is responsible for the planning, developing, coordinating and delivering Dental Health Services throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands.
- Ensuring that services are accessible to all residents on the islands.
- Monitoring oral diseases and reducing the incidence and prevalence of Dental Disease.
- Formulating policies in an ever-changing environment, so as to deliver high quality and comprehensive dental services to all.
Special Programs that are on-stream within the Government Dental Clinics include
- School Dental Health Program (School children 0-18 yrs)
- Her Majesty Prison Program
- Wellness Center Program
- Ante-Natal & Post-Natal Program
- Oral Health Promotion Programs (radio & television)
- SNAP Center Program
- The Dental Division is guided by the Turks & Caicos Islands Medical Ordinance
|Services||Cost||NHIP Card||Without NHIP Card|
|Preventative Restorative Care||$5:00||$5:00||$20:00|
There are two main Dental clinics on the islands, one in Grand Turk, located in the Cockburn town Medical Center and one at the Cheshire Hall Medical Center in Providenciales. There are four satellite clinics located in South Caicos, North Caicos, Middle Caicos and Salt Cay. Currently the Dental Clinics on Salt Cays and Middle Caicos are under construction. In general, these clinics serve the population of the Turks and Caicos Islands, with the majority of the population living on the island of Providenciales, additional Basic Dental Services are delivered via a Mobile Dental Unit.
Contact Information / Hours of Operation
|Providenciales Government Dental Clinic||Cheshire Hall Medical Centre||1 (649) 941-2800||70301/70304/70305/70307|
|Grand Turk Government Dental Clinic||Cockburn Town Medical Center||1 (649) 941-2800||60300/60301/60304/60305|
|North Caicos Dental Clinic||Bottle Creek Primary Health Clinic||1 (649) 946-7319|
|Middle Caicos Dental Clinic||Alcida Hall Health Center||1 (649) 946-6145|
|Salt Cay Dental Clinic||Salt Cays Primary Health Center||1 (649) 946-6970|
|South Caicos Dental Clinic||South Caicos Primary Health Clinic||1 (649) 946-3711|
All Government Dental Clinics operate between the hours of 8:00 am-4: 30 pm on weekdays and close on weekends and public holidays.
Dental Department Staff 2016
|Chief Dental Officer||Dr. Jameiko J. Harvey|
|Dental Officer||Dr. Susan Delpeche|
|Dental Nurse||Mr. Michael Reid|
|Dental Nurse||Ms. Rhonda Laulys|
|Dental Assistant||Shantel Jennings|
|Dental Assistant||Nemeken Harvey-Lightbourne|
|Clerical Officer||Ms. Verionica Clark|
|Porter/Driver||Mr. Hilton Forbes|
|Dental Officer||Dr. Janice Baron|
|Dental Nurse||Mr. Rondy Laulys|
|Dental Nurse||Ms. Misca Watson- Moore|
|Dental Assistant||Ms. Raymonda Brown|
|Clerical Officer||Mr. Lyndon Robinson|
|Dental Nurse||Ms. Kenisha Lewis|
|Dental Nurse||Ms. Valarie Duncan|
Dental Department Calendar of Events
- Turks & Caicos Islands Clinical Exploration Program (July-August)
- Oral Health Month (October annually)