Turks and Caicos Post Cabinet Meeting Statement
His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 14th meeting of the Cabinet on Monday, 25 June 2018, at the Hon. Hilly Ewing Building on Providenciales.
All Ministers were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
• Approved a business licence application by MAF Clear Shore Farms to operate business in an area of restricted business activity in accordance with the Business Licensing Regulations;
• Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the appointment of Mr Arthur T Robinson as Chair and Mr Albert Clare as Deputy Chair of the Board of Directors of the Invest Turks and Caicos Islands Agency for a period of 3 years with effect from 1 July 2018 in accordance with the Invest Turks and Caicos Islands Agency Ordinance 2014;
• Approved the appointments of members to the Prison Visiting Committee, the Radio Turks and Caicos Board of Governors, the Adoption Committee and the Telecommunications Commission;
• Approved, after consultation with the Board, the appointment of Dr Terese Maitland as Interim CEO of the National Health Insurance Board for a period of one year with effect from 1 July 2018;
• Approved the extension of the appointments of the Mr Nigel Hearnden as Chair and Ms Patricia C Adams as a member of the Audit Committee in accordance with the Audit Committee Charter;
• Approved the recommendation of the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming for the continuation of a moratorium on new third party commercial developments of beach accesses. Cabinet noted the continued work by the Department of the Environment and Coastal Resources for the future development and management of beach access in TCI which would be presented at a future meeting of Cabinet for consideration;
• Received an information paper from the Hon. Minister of Health, Agriculture, Sports and Human Services up-dating Cabinet on progress on discussions relating to the provision of clinical services under the contract between TCIG and InterHealth Canada;
• Received a presentation by the Chair of the National Recovery Task Force (NRTF) on progress being made by the NRTF;
• Received an information paper from the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming and the Executive Director of the Turks and Caicos National Trust (TCNT) up-dating Cabinet on the work of the TCNT to address recommendations following Internal Audit Reports of the TCNT in 2014 and 2016;
• Approved a proposal for the lease of a building at Cheshire Hall and Richmond Hill on Providenciales for the purpose of accommodating the RTCIPF 911 and CCTV Operations Centre;
• At the request of His Excellency the Governor, the Hon. Minister of Infrastructure, Housing and Planning up-dated Cabinet on the water supply situation on Grand Turk;
• At the request of the Hon. Premier, received an up-date from Her Excellency the Deputy Governor and the Hon. Attorney General on the Lighthouse Road project on Grand Turk;
• Was reminded by Her Excellency the Deputy Governor of the need for all departments to submit procurement plans and ITTs to the Contract Management Unit urgently so that projects can be processed as a priority once budgets are approved;
• Received an up-date by the Hon. Attorney General on TCI’s ongoing mutual evaluation by the Caribbean Financial Action Task Force (CFATF) ahead of the CFATF’s onsite inspection in TCI in September;
• Received an up-date by the Hon. Minister of Health, Agriculture, Sports and Human Services on plans to address the sanitation problems and smells at the North Salina on West Road on Grand Turk;
• Was informed by the Hon. Premier that she will be attending a meeting of CARICOM in July which will address issues of security;
• The Hon. Premier up-dated Cabinet on an agreement on paid scholarships in the UK for TCI scholars which had resulted as part of the Brexit discussions;
• The Hon. Premier thanked Public Health England for their continued support for TCI including the recent provision of anti-mosquito vector control equipment;
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.