PREMIER JOINS MINISTER OF EDUCATION ON VISITS TO GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS ON PROVIDENCIALES
The Premier and Minister for Finance, Investment and Trade Honourable Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson, as Chair of the Capital Board and Minister for Education, Youth, Culture, Social and Library Services, Honourable Karen Malcolm on Friday, 2 October, visited Government Schools on Providenciales.
The aim of the site visits were to review the progress of all major and minor ongoing works to all facilities. All seven (7) government schools were visited and progress reports received. The following are the ongoing school infrastructure works: -
1. Construction of new primary school in Long Bay, Providenciales - Early Childhood block, Grade Classroom block, Admin block and external works including finishing works to the gazebo, construction of the walkway roof, installation of manholes, installation of external lights and painting. The overall completion of the project is scheduled for October 2020.
2. The Oseta Jolly Primary School, Blue Hills, Providenciales – Block C & D are completed, works are ongoing on Block E & F, Block A, new classroom block, new bathroom facility block and security booth, new office and conference facility. Oseta Jolly Primary School will also receive a new Early Childhood Block – ceiling, doors and windows installed, works to walkway roof ongoing, internal construction works progressing. Overall completion of project scheduled for October 2020.
3. The Clement Howell High School, Blue Hills, Providenciales – Maintenance works to Admin Block, Claudette Dean Block (completed), Claudette Clare Block (completed), additional works to EDPM room ongoing and Metabeek Block completed except for the replacing of two double doors. Demolition of the old bathroom facility (completed). Overall completion is scheduled for October 2020.
4. A new roof at the Ianthe Pratt Primary School, the Bight, Providenciales - Contract executed. Contract to commence shortly. Overall project completion scheduled for October 2021. Works are ongoing at the Early Childhood Block at Ianthe Pratt Primary School; doors, ceiling and fencing installed, installation of floor tiles and site works ongoing. Overall completion of project scheduled for January 2021.
5. New two-storey block at Enid Capron Primary School, Five Cays, Providenciales - Contract executed and received by Public Works Department on 2 July 2020. Overall project completion scheduled for October 2021. This block will address the current overflow of classes into the Community Center. The Enid Capron Primary School will also benefit from an Early Childhood Center and the demolition of the existing bathroom facilities.
6. The Trade School, Leeward Highway, Providenciales – The recruitment of key personnel for the Trade School continues and structural and other minor works will commence shortly.
7. The Long Bay High School, Long Bay, Provienciales – Works to the grounds to begin shortly.
The Turks and Caicos Islands Government continues to prioritize the improvement of schools for the benefit of our students. It is important that students have stable, modern and safe environments to promote proactive learning and stimulating classroom and school settings.
TCI Government has with the uncertainty of the pandemic, expedited all works to ensure that classrooms are ready for students’ return to face-to-face learning as outlined in the Ministry of Education’s roadmap to the re-opening of schools.