PREMIER VISITED ONGOING GOVERNMENT PROJECTS ON SOUTH CAICOS
The Premier and Minister of Finance, Investment and Trade Honourable Sharlene Cartwright-Robinson as Chair of the Capital Board, Minister for Education, Youth, Culture, Social and Library Services, Hon. Karen Malcolm and Executive Director for the Office of the Premier, Local Government and Community Affairs, Ronlee James visited the island of South Caicos on Friday, 18 September to review the progress of a number of ongoing and completed government projects advanced under the Capital Programme and the Community Enhancement Programme.
The following are ongoing capital projects in South Caicos:
- Rehabilitation of Regatta Village – the refurbishment of the bathroom facility is completed.
- Rehabilitation of Wharf – overall completion of the project is scheduled for March 2021.
- Community Centre - overall completion of the project is scheduled for September 2020.
- South Caicos Clinic - overall completion of the project is scheduled for September 2020.
- South Caicos Government Office Block - overall completion of the project is scheduled for January 2021.
- Morgue – all works completed except for the installation of the stainless steel counter tops and cabinets. Overall completion of the project is scheduled for September 2020.
- South Caicos Police Station – overall completion of the project is scheduled for July 2021.
- Sports Facility - overall completion of the project is scheduled for November 2020.
- Iris Stubbs Primary School – installation of a walkway roof and play field and equipment underway. Completion of the project is scheduled for September 2020.
- Marjorie Basden High School – works to the resource centre and restroom facility are completed. Works are ongoing at the new two-storey block at the facility. Overall completion of the project is scheduled for April 2021.
The Premier as Minister with responsibility for the TCI Airports Authority and Port Authority also visited both the South Caicos Airport and Port Facility to view the progress of upgrades and rehabilitation works. Ongoing works to the South Caicos Terminal and combined services building - which will house firefighters - are progressing, starting with the demolition of the old terminal building which is now complete. The project which is included under the Airports Authority Capital Programme is scheduled to be completed in November 2021.
The South Caicos Port Facility is benefitting from upgrades to enhance security. These upgrades include the erection of security fencing and lights.
The Premier also received progress reports on the Community Enhancement Programme launched under the Office of the Premier, Local Government and Community Affairs. All projects amassed a spending of over $25,000 on the island through the Community Enhancement Programme including; 65 street naming signs posted throughout the southern (more populated) side of the island; the restoration of the Cow House; the erection of a flag pole; Turks and Caicos Islands flag; and, a welcome sign.
Under this programme, phase two (2) of the enhancement and rehabilitation of the Cow House are planned, which will see fencing and information signs about the history of the building erected and works are proposed to continue enhancement efforts to the Conch Ground Bay area which will include Cedar Park.