On Thursday this week, we will join the Gender Desk and the rest of the world in celebrating women. This year’s theme “Press For Progress” is a call for continued action among women to do more and to be more. Women have made many leaps and bounds over recent years at home and abroad and should be celebrated.
Whilst TCI is looked at as a leading country in terms of gender parity with a recent upsurge in women in high offices of leadership, there remains much to do. We must not be content until every little girl is given equal opportunity to access any office or make any career choice she wishes to and to be able to enjoy equal pay.
Throughout the month of March, in honor of our women, as Premier, I will host Luncheons, participate in sporting events and surprise several of our leading women around the Turks and Caicos Islands.
All Ministers of Government will join in celebrating women and we are intent on reaching out to and recognizing women who are often overlooked and who have been and continue to be trail blazers.
Women throughout the Islands should look to join in these celebrations:
- March 6, 2018, we celebrate the women of the Twin Islands during a Luncheon
- March 13th, 2018, we celebrate the women of South Caicos during a Luncheon
- March 17th, 2018, the Premier’s Office in conjunction with Women In Sports will host a sporting event in the Nation’s Capital.
- March 21st, 2018, we celebrate the women of Salt Cay during a Luncheon
- The month will end with a Celebration of First Ladies on the Island of Providenciales
As the daughter of a strong women, influenced by strong women throughout the TCI and especially on the Island of South Caicos and raising two strong young women myself, I am indeed honored to be able to celebrate each and every woman and girl in these Islands and I look forward with great anticipation to the rest of this month.