His Excellency the Governor, Dr John Freeman, chaired the 9th meeting of Cabinet on Wednesday, 25 April 2018, at the Hon. Hilly Ewing Building on Providenciales.
All Ministers were present except the Hon. Minister of Home Affairs, Transportation and Communication and the Hon. Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage and Gaming.
At this meeting Cabinet:
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the issuing of a public tender notice for the lease of Crown Land Parcels 20313/22, 20313/23 and 20314 on South Caicos in accordance with Section 34 of the Crown Land Ordinance;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the grant of a 25-year lease over Crown Land Parcel 60603/18 on Providenciales to Allan Grant on behalf of Allan’s Trucking for the construction of a mechanics shop and storage facilities;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the issuing of a public tender notice for the lease of Crown Land Parcel 60804/142 on Providenciales in accordance with Section 34 of the Crown Land Ordinance;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the re-parcelling of Crown Land Parcel 10203/309 and Parcel 10203/157 subject to agreement between the proprietor and administrator of Parcel 10203/157 and TCIG;
- Approved a proposal, subject to amendments being made and returned to Cabinet, for an amnesty on penalties on outstanding arrears of hotel and tourism tax payable under the Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism (Taxation) Ordinance to be presented in due course to the House of Assembly for approval;
- Endorsed TCI’s membership of the OECD Inclusive Framework on Base Erosion and Profit Sharing (BEPS) and authorised the TCI Competent Authority to exchange financial information of multinational entities registered in TCI via the Country-by-Country Multilateral Competent Authority Agreement signed by TCI in June 2017;
- Approved business licence applications by Sky Poultry Farm Ltd and Stanbrooks Law to operate businesses in areas of restricted business activity in accordance with the Business Licensing Regulations;
- Approved a MSME Concession Order to Sky Poultry Farm in relation to its business operation on Providenciales in accordance with the MSME Development Ordinance 2015;
- Agreed to circulate to Cabinet for approval a policy on the waiver of customs duties on materials imported by individuals to replace items destroyed or damaged in the September hurricanes;
- Approved appointments to the National Honours and Awards (NHA) Committee for a period of one year with effect from 25 April 2018;
- Approved appointments of members to the District Boards of Middle Caicos, North Caicos, Salt Cay and South Caicos;
- Approved the compilation and terms of reference of the TCI National Recovery Task Force to co-ordinate the post-hurricane recovery effort in TCI;
- Noted an information paper from the Ministry of Finance up-dating Cabinet on progress following publication of the consultancy report on the review of TCI’s Statutory Bodies;
- Advised His Excellency the Governor to approve the draft National Investment Policy 2018;
- Approved the write-off of both Business Licence and Scholarship Contribution Arrears and instructed the Attorney-General’s Chambers to prepare the necessary documentation for forwarding to the House of Assembly for approval;
- Received an up-date by His Excellency the Governor on the hurricane preparedness meeting held at the DDME Office in Providenciales on 23 April;
- Received an up-date by the Hon. Premier on matters relating to the Board of the NHIB and on the recruitment of a new CEO of Invest TCI;
- Was informed by the Hon. Premier of her request to His Excellency the Governor to prorogue the House of Assembly on 27 April;
- Received an up-date by the Hon. Attorney-General on progress on TCIG’s engagement with the EU Code of Conduct Group in relation to the exchange of tax information;
- In response to a request by the Hon. Minister for Health, Agriculture, Sports and Human Services, received an up-date by Her Excellency the Deputy Governor on progress on contracts for the repair of roads on Grand Turk.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.