The government of the Turks & Caicos Islands is promoting good governance of the health care system. It has instituted a Health Secretariat, headed by a Health Registrar, Dr. Derrick Aarons MD, PhD, which will provide administrative support to three (3) professional Councils:
1) The Medicine and Dentistry Professions Council
2) The Nursing and Midwifery Professions Council
3) The Allied Health Professions and Pharmacy Professions Council
This will be the first time such councils would have been established in the TCI. The establishment of the 3 health professions councils will ensure that all health professions are well represented and empowered to register, license, and regulate their respective health professions.
The Health Professions Ordinance also:
- Grants power to a council to establish and enforce standards of professional conduct and national guidelines for the provision of quality health services
- Grants power to a council to establish and promote high standards of education and training requirements of registered practitioners.
Meetings were held with doctors and dentists on September 4, nurses and midwives on September 5, and pharmacists and allied health professionals on September 6, 2018 at TCI Hospital to sensitize them regarding the introduction of the Health Professions Ordinance 2016, and the Health Appeals Tribunal Ordinance 2016. The professionals were also provided details regarding the functioning of the three (3) professional Councils. A code of ethics was also introduced which was developed specifically for the Health Professionals working in the TCI.
Each session was well attended and interactive with representatives from the Hospital, Ministry of Health and private sector. The Minster of Health, Hon. Edwin Astwood, Permanent Secretary of Health, Mrs. Desiree Lewis, Deputy Secretary Mrs. Tamera Howell Robinson and Dr. Nadia Astwood – Director of Health Services were in attendance to lend their support to this initiative.
For additional information please call 338-5140.