The Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies (DDME)
Shelter Management Training
The capacity for managing Emergency Shelters in The Turks and Caicos Islands will be further enhanced in April, 2019. DDME will be hosting a series of Shelter Management Training across the islands, for persons interested in becoming Shelter Managers.
The schedule for the islands are as follows:
- Salt Cay April 2 - 3, 2019
- South Caicos April 8 - 9, 2019
- Grand Turk April 11-12, 2019
- North & Middle Caicos April 15 - 16, 2019
- Providenciales April 23 - 25, 2019
This training is part of DDME’s ongoing effort to build disaster resilient communities throughout the Turks and Caicos Islands; by ensuring that each island has certified shelter managers that can effectively operate shelters if and when called upon to do so.
The course topics will include:
- An overview of Risk Management;
- The Turks and Caicos Islands National Disaster Management System;
- The Operational and Administrative Aspect of Shelters;
- as well as Problem Solving Approaches
Participants will also receive some background on the range of threats that would prompt the opening of a shelter such as; hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tsunamis and fires displacing a large percentage of the population.
On the successful completion of the training participants will be awarded with certificates from the Department.
Facilitators for the workshop are: DDME Staff. .
For further information please Contact: Latoya Jones
Telephone #: 649 338 4039