Turks & Caicos Islands Observes International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
On 26 June 2019, the Turks & Caicos Islands will join the rest of the world in observing International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking (IDAD, to raise awareness about the impact of drug exploitation and the illicit trafficking of drugs.
Substance Dependence and Trafficking are not trivial issues; they grasp at the very intricacies of life. Ranging from theft due to the lack of ability to meet basic needs for users and their families; to increased funds allocated by Governments to address substance induced disorders; and on a wider scale, revising the use of prioritized funds to alleviate this burden leaves other vital economic accounts exhausted. Addressing this issue is at the forefront of the Department of Mental Health & Substance Dependence (DMHSD) work-plan, and will continue to be until this ill has been eliminated. However, to achieve this goal we must employ tactics holistically; this means that each person across this Nation must make an effort, must take a stance, must participate, if we are to see positive outcomes.
How do we mobilize/address this issue?
- Utilize the services which are available to you i.e. Visit the Department of Mental Health and seek assistance if you or a friend/family member needs help for an addiction.
- Keep the proper authorities informed of activities which can further stress the drug problem
- Educate yourself on substance use trends and associated physical and mental health related diseases
- Enhance your knowledge of the laws/legislation concerning drugs in these islands, so that you do not behave in an offensive nature
In addition to the above tactics, supporting local initiatives such as those listed below is vital. The following activities will be taking place throughout the islands to raise awareness about substance use problems.
- Appearance on Health Matter radio program June 19th
- Appearance on The Couch radio program June 24th
- Color Run in North Caicos June 28th
- School presentations through-out the month of June
- Tobacco & Alcohol Screenings June 26th: Cheshire Hall Medical Center, Providenciales 9:00am-12:00 noon; First Caribbean Bank Parking Lot, Grand Turk 9:00am- 2:00pm
For more information about International Day Against Drug Abuse, please contact the Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence on 649-338-3613 in Grand Turk or 649-338-4737 in Providenciales or by visiting our Facebook page or website: www.facebook.com/TCIDMHSD or https://www.gov.tc/dmhsd/TCIDMHSD.