His Excellency the Governor, Dr. John Freeman, chaired the 8th meeting of the Cabinet on Tuesday, 28 March 2017, at the Hon. N. J. S. Francis Building in Grand Turk.
All Ministers were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
• Advised the Governor to approve the proposed amendments to the Banking (Amendment) Regulations 2017 to permit changes to the fee schedule to the Banking Fees to become effective April 3rd, 2017
• Advised the Governor to approve the 2017-2018 Revenue and Expenditure Estimates for the Statutory Bodies of the Turks and Caicos Islands Government for advancement to the House of Assembly.
• Advised the Governor to approve the proposed amendments to the Criteria for Designation of Restaurants to permit the taxation of cancellations of bookings which was previously omitted.
• Advised the Governor to approve the implementation of a Renewal Policy for the Caribbean Catastrophic Risk Insurance Policy that would provide increased coverage for damages caused by tropical cyclone and flooding from excessive rainfall.
• Advised the Governor to agree to the development of the Turks and Caicos Islands National Wealth Fund, formerly referred to as the Sovereign Wealth Fund, and further that the draft Turks and Caicos Islands National Wealth Fund Bill (2017), with changes, be approved for advancement for debate in the House of Assembly.
• Advised the Governor to agree to the proposed temporary relocation of the Victoria Public Library to the Franklyn Missick Building on Church Folly Grand Turk until such time that the rebuilding of a permanent structure has been finalized.
• Received an update from the Ministry of Tourism, Environment, Culture and Heritage on the Mega One Triton.
• Advised the Governor to approve the draft MOU between the Turks and Caicos Islands Government and the CARPHA for the formalization of procurement of pharmaceuticals from the Caribbean.
• Noted the award of several contract notifications as per follows:
- Vehicles for Vector Control Department North/Middle Caicos
- Upgrade to Her Majesty’s Prison Grand Turk
- Upgrade to the Gustavus Lightbourne Sports Complex Providenciales
- Design and Build Community Clinic – Bottle Creek North Caicos
- TCIG Green Energy Programme Grand Turk
- Equipment & Software for Judiciary
- South Caicos Sports & Recreational Complex South Caicos
- Furniture National Equipment Public Health Laboratory Providenciales
- National Fire Hall Providenciales
• Received an update from the Ministry of Tourism, Environment, Culture and Heritage on the Tourist Board.
• Noted that this was the last meeting of Cabinet to be attended by the Chief Financial Officer, as he comes to the end of his tenure on March 31, 2017 and expressed its appreciation for his service to the Turks and Caicos Islands Government.
• Noted the decision of the Privy Council on Monday March 27th, 2017 to dismiss the appeal by Akita Holdings against the Turks and Caicos Islands Government Civil Recovery Claim and the 2014 Supreme Court Ruling which awarded judgement to the Government.
• Received an update from the Attorney General on the Dominican Republic Nationals who are currently detained due to their alleged participation in illegal fishing activities in the Turks and Caicos Islands’ waters.
• Received an update from the Premier and Minister of Finance, Investment and Trade on Beneficial Ownership and Central Registry initiative.