TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS ANNOUNCES ENHANCED SECURITY AND SAFETY MEASURES
(Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands – Monday, 10 October 2022) Today, the Government of the Turks and Caicos Islands announced several actions to ensure that the country remains a safe and enjoyable place to live and visit. The Government is immediately enacting the following measures:
- Increasing police visibility across the Turks and Caicos Islands, expanding collaboration within security forces regionally and internationally, assigning rapid response teams to affected areas, and focusing the force’s efforts on deterring criminal activities and identifying those responsible for crime.
- Enlisting 24 police officers from The Royal Bahamas Police Force who will directly support the specialist Firearms and Response Units.
- With support from the UK, building a 24-person anti-gang squad made up of specialist UK detectives to tackle gang violence, drawing on sophisticated intelligence resources and UK Forensic laboratories.
- Accelerating investment in the nation’s security and police systems, including an expansion of CCTV coverage and tools for investigating criminal activity, improved police equipment, and new vehicles for the police force and other security bodies.
- Bolstering maritime security by enhancing the monitoring of surrounding seas and deepening partnership with the US and Bahamas, partnering with the UK to leverage sophisticated maritime surveillance aircraft, and expanding the exchange of intelligence with other Caribbean nations.
- Meeting with residents, business owners and regular visitors to discuss safety concerns and find ways to collaboratively strengthen the security of the nation. As part of this effort, on Monday, October 10th, Commissioner of Police Trevor Botting will update TCI on law enforcement matters. Governor Nigel John Dakin will share remarks on Tuesday, October 11th.
While the Turks and Caicos Islands takes pride in its long-running legacy of safety for residents and visitors, the nation’s primary goal is keeping everyone on the island safe and at ease. To that end, the Government will use every resource at its disposal to address the root cause of criminal incidents and prevent them from occurring.
The country also continues to mourn those who tragically lost their lives due to recent gang-related activity. The country’s leaders share their deepest sympathies with the victims’ loved ones and are working with local organizations to provide assistance to the families.
A collaborative effort
The Royal Turks and Caicos Police Force requests that any TCI resident or visitor who has information about criminal incidents, or who has witnessed dangerous behavior on the islands, contact the Royal Turks and Caicos Police Force or Crime Stoppers immediately at +18008477.
“The Government extends its gratitude to the police for their courage in the face of this new challenge and thanks our regional neighbours and those from other countries who are supporting this critical effort,” said the Turks and Caicos Islands’ Premier, Hon. Charles Washington Misick. “To put an end to criminal activity, I am encouraging collaboration between our residents, the Government and police force, resorts and hotels, and visitors alike. Through collective, coordinated efforts, the Turks and Caicos Islands will remain a safe and comfortable place to live and visit.”
The Turks and Caicos Islands will continue to provide updates as the respective investigations and broader security efforts continue.