TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS POST CABINET MEETING STATEMENT - Wednesday, 15 September 2021
His Excellency the Governor, Nigel Dakin, chaired the 26th meeting of Cabinet on Wednesday 15 September 2021 at the Office of the Premier on Grand Turk.
All members were present.
At this meeting Cabinet:
- Was given an update by the Ministry of Health on the measures being taken to address and mitigate against the threat of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) to the country, including:
- Pattern of positive cases of which 64% are Residents,
- Delivery of new vaccines to TCI on 16 September 2021,
- Progress with the vaccination program, in particular in schools and
- Forthcoming plans for booster shots.
- Approved a Cemetery Policy to support the drafting of new Cemetery Legislation. Members also discussed current practices in regards to public and private cemeteries.
- Approved the establishment of a task force to assist with the management of the CDB Consultancy for Integrated Solid Waste Management within the Turks and Caicos Islands, and for eligible members to be paid a stipend per meeting.
- Approved the commencement of negotiations for a Development Agreement between Beach Enclave Stargazer Ltd and TCIG, for a villa resort on Providenciales. Members also approved specific duty concessions, time-bound tax exemptions, and immigration protocols.
- Discussed the financial performance of the Turks and Caicos Islands Government for the period April to June 2021 and approved the publication of the first Quarter Financial Report.
- Discussed the Quarterly Financial Report of the Government’s Statutory Bodies for (April to June 2021), and the publication of this report.
- Approved the purchase by the Government of the land and building(s), on parcels 60602/354 and 477, Norway and Five Cays, Providenciales to be as the Headquarters for the TCI Regiment and a Joint Law Enforcement Training Academy.
- Were updated on the National Teaching Standards Framework for the Turks and Caicos Islands and approved its implementation.
- Members also approved a waiver against the moratorium for a restricted number of applicants to be considered for a work permit where “all routes to employ Turks and Caicos Islanders have been demonstrably exhausted.”
- Approved amendments to the (Covid-19)(Arriving Passengers Health Clearance) Regulations to include persons arriving in TCI aboard naval and coast guard vessels.
- Approved a planning application (PR 15475) for the construction of a new classroom block and additional facilities at the Thelma Lightbourne Primary School.
- Approved the appointment of HE Deputy Governor Anya Williams to Co-Chair of the IT Steering Committee.
- Was updated on issues related to the Ministries of:
- Health, and
- Was also updated on issues relating to the:
- AG Chambers, and
- Governor’s Office.
Further information on these matters will be provided by Ministers in due course.