Who We Are
History of the Turks and Caicos Islands Library Service
The first library called the Turks and Caicos Islands Public Library was started in 1854 on used church premises. The next major development was the building of the Victoria Jubilee library (now the Victoria Public Library between 1887 and 1889 in commemoration of the fiftieth (50) year of the reign of Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee. The Library operated under a subscription and consequently somewhat exclusive basis until it was taken over by the Turks and Caicos Library Service in 1979.
The Turks and Caicos Library Service therefore came into existence on 17th December 1979 under the provisions of the Turks and Caicos Islands Library Service Ordinance, 1978. The ordinance entrusted the operation of the Library service to a Library board. At that time the Victoria Public Library and Turks and Caicos High school became branches of the Turks and Caicos Library Service.
Following the repealing of the Library Ordinance in 2012, the organization has been operating as a department of the Ministry of Education, Youth, Sports and Library Service.
One Chief Librarian
One Director, Technical Services
Seven Library Assistants
One Clerical Assistant